Find the latest news on public policy and legislative developments related to suicide prevention along with state documents related to suicide prevention.
The National Strategy for Preventing Veteran Suicide reflects VA’s vision for a coordinated national strategy to prevent suicide among all Veterans, maintaining VA’s focus on high-risk individuals in health care settings while promoting community engagement.
Click here to view the document.
Outlines a national strategy to guide suicide prevention actions. Includes 13 goals and 60 objectives across four strategic directions: wellness and empowerment; prevention services; treatment and support services; and surveillance, research, and evaluation.
National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention
The National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention is the public-private partnership advancing the National Strategy for Suicide Prevention. Read more about the Action Alliance, our vision & mission, as well as major initiatives here.
Summary of Texas Statutes Regarding SuicideSummary of Texas Statutes Regarding Suicide
The Texas Suicide Prevention Council and Mental Health America of Texas have published a list of Texas laws (statutes) that relate to suicide prevention, services, or reporting. The statutes are organized by subject, with a short explanation of what the law does and, when relevant, what suicide prevention advocates should know about that section of the law.
HB 1386 (Texas)
Relating to the public health threat presented by youth suicide and the qualifications of certain persons serving as marriage and family therapists in school districts
- Link to HB 1386 Bill
- Summary of HB 1386
- FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions HB 1386
- Texas Contacts
Link to HB1386
Summary of HB 1386
HB 1386 (Rep. Coleman/Sen. Ellis) Relating to the public health threat presented by youth suicide and the qualifications of certain personsserving as marriage and family therapists in school districts
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
- Links to the State and National Toolkits
- Copy of American Association of Suicidology Guidelines for Schools
- Early Warning Data System Tool, SEDL
- Research-Based Guidelines and Practices for School-Based Suicide Prevention, D. Kimokeo, 2006
- School Suicide Prevention Accreditation, American Association of Suicidology
- Youth Suicide Prevention – School based Guide Checklists, University of South Florida
- Youth Suicide Prevention, Intervention and Postvention Guidelines, a Resource for School Personnel
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center Resources:
- Texas Statues Regarding Suicide
If you or someone you know is in crisis or you believe is at risk of suicide, call 9-1-1, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or go to your nearest emergency room or hospital.
- Jenna Heise, Texas Suicide Prevention Coordinator, Office of Mental Health Coordination Texas Health and Human Services Commission.
- Texas 2-1-1
- Local Community Behavioral Health Centers ask for the local suicide prevention coordinator.