Welcome to the new AS+K? Basic Course. This course updates the original ASK? course is approximately 1 hour in length. It is followed by a 10 question quiz. This course is suited for persons who require suicide prevention gatekeeper skills for their communities and employers. It has been designed to meet the requirements for Texas and Texas educators. This online training is intended to meet Texas K-12 public school suicide prevention training requirements and other suicide prevention training needs.
The original AS+K? curriculum is listed on the SPRC resources and programs page: http://www.sprc.org/resources-programs/ask-about-suicide-save-life
What is this course about?
AS+K? About Suicide To Save A Life (Basic) provides participants with an overview of the basic epidemiology of suicide and suicidal behavior, including risk and protective factors. In this one hour e-learning based course, participants are trained to recognize warning signs—behaviors and characteristics that might indicate elevated risk for suicidal behavior—and the initial intervention steps to support a person they think might be at risk for suicide. Please note this course is designed for public health information purposes only and is not designed to assess, screen, diagnose or treat any mental or physical health condition. If you or someone you know may be at risk of suicide, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255 (TALK) to receive qualified support and care. If you have concerns or questions about your suitability for this course or its content, please contact your human resources department or your supervisor. Always follow the protocols and guidelines established by your employer or workplace.
What you’ll need to register
If you are a Texas educator, you will need your TEA County District number (a six digit number assigned to your school district or charter school configured as “xxx-xxx”). If you do not know your County District Number, please contact your Education Service Center or designated administrator in your school district.
If you are not a Texas K-12 educator but still registering, you can leave the field blank when signing up.
Steps To Complete this Course
- Set up an account using the button below with your registration info on hand.
- Open the AS+K? Basic Gatekeeper Training (if not already done so) by navigating to all courses and selecting the respective course.
- Launch the training by selecting the “Start button”
- Download the handout in your respective language.
- Complete the training and take the quiz.
- If you receive a score of 80% or higher, download your certificate by marking your training as complete. If you are having difficulty finding the certificate download or complete button, ensure all sections of the training (the sidebar to the left) have blue check marks beside them.
- Follow your employer’s instructions for submitting your certificate of completion.
To unlock the actual quiz portion of the training you must watch the entirety of the training to get a quiz unlock code. This code once entered correctly will say you have 100%. This is not your training score, and is merely an indication you entered the code correctly. The section after this is where you will answer a series of questions in order to obtain your actual score and must be completed to download the certificate.